The importance of calcium

20, Jan 2020
foods-rich-in-calciumCalcium is an important mineral that is widely known to be found in dairy products. Due to the increasing number of people reducing the amount of intake of calcium for reasons such as weight loss, intolerances and just not liking dairy it is really important to understand the necessary intake and role calcium plays for all of us as individuals.

Many people associate calcium with bone density and the importance of maintaining bone strength and health for the young and elderly. However it is important to note that calcium is important at every stage of life regardless of how old you are. Although it does helps with increasing bone health for later on in life, it also helps with

  • Clotting blood when we are injured
  • Muscle contractions
  • Transmission of nerve impulses (meaning to help send messages to other parts of the body) and other functions.

Only 10 – 30 % of what we eat in calcium rich foods is absorbed, this is why it is important to eat calcium rich foods regularly. 99% is stored in our bones and the other 1% circulates around the body.

For adults we require approximately 1,300 mg per day.

Foods that contain and are god sources of calcium:

  • Dairy products such as, cheese, yoghurt, milk and Whey Protein
  • Broccoli
  • Almonds
  • Sesame seeds
  • Sardines
  • Tofu
  • Salmon

So remember guys no matter how old you are calcium plays a vital role in all stages of life. Make sure you are getting your required amount of calcium today!


Written By Nutritionist Katie Maycock

enquire now